Down in Charlotte, there is a married couple whose mission is to amuse and inform online listeners five times a week. Roderick and Karen Morrow, both 37, host The Black Guy Who Tips, a daily podcast they record out of their home, deep in the Tar Heel State.
For six years, the duo has riffed on the news–everything from the headlines of the day, to the crazy stories that get Black folks talking. On any given episode, the Morrows will have segments like “Gay News,” a roundup of LGBTQ-related news items, usually punctuated by Sylvester’s opening yell from “Do Ya Wanna Funk;” “Guess the Race,” where they ask their chatroom audience to guess the race of the lead figure in an usually embarrassing news story; and “Sword Ratchetry,” where they close out the show with the latest news item involving a sword (You’d be surprised how many people mess themselves up with swords on the regular).
Over the past couple of years, the show has received shout-outs in the Huffington Post and the Los Angeles Times. And considering Rod and Karen do make quite the amusing pair (Karen’s twangy accent and infectious laugh alone make this podcast worth listening to), it’s easy to see why.Read more at EBONY http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/podcasts-black-love#ixzz48xiRbohq
Follow us: @EbonyMag on Twitter | EbonyMag on Facebook
Podcasting Couple Keeps It Really Real on ‘The Black Guy Who Tips’
More from JournalismMore posts in Journalism »
- The Impact Of Lack Of Access To Health Care For Gay Black Men And HIV
- Black Male College Athletes And Anti-Black Stereotypes On Campus
- A Black History Month Tribute: Lorraine Hansberry, The First Major Black Theatrical Voice To Emerge From AmericaA Black History Month Tribute: Lorraine Hansberry, The First Major Black Theatrical Voice To Emerge From America
- The Long Racist History Of The Term ‘Voodoo’
- Black Lives Matter 100 Years Ago